Monday, November 19, 2007

I have always pictured finding 'the one' in a more serendipitous, spontaneous event where I would reach down to grab my latte, begin to sip the foam that seeped from the hole in the lid, turn around and, WHAM…. there she would be, smiling, beautiful eyes locking with mine, a soft orchestra would begin to play as everyone in the building seem to freeze in this moment of amazing bliss.

Not so much.

Three or four times a week I frequent establishments such as this and well nothing. It's usually someone named Bill who is getting his venti, dark roast so he can hurry back to the construction site.

I guess I am a romantic in that sense. The books I've read, the movies I've watched -- it all seems to go down like this. I guess my love for the narrative always hoped my story; my romantic comedy would be as witty and charming as that of a Meg Ryan movie or a Jane Austin novel.

Becoming proactive in my "search" for romantic bliss is a difficult thing me to justify. But when it's Saturday night, and I'm in a Borders reading a book about boring things like business leadership or some dead artist of the 16th century I tend to get this wave of loneliness, like the coffee and poetry would taste so much better with the warmth of a good women next to me.

To all single women everywhere….

I think trying to describe your self on a site such as that is kind of silly. Don't get me wrong I love talking about myself, but I guess I am under the firm belief that you have to be in the presence of someone to really get an accurate picture of them. In great works of literature, you have this image of someone in your mind as you follow their life, their pain, their love. Then when the movie comes out, you buck at the idea of that same character that you had so accurately pictured in the deep crevices of your brain, is now played by a George Clooney or a Kira Knightly.

I want to say upfront, that any women will be disappointed with me. Sure I can paint a rosy picture of myself, outlining all my amazing qualities, describing my looks in some romantic, poetic fashion but you will be blinded by my ability to romantically arrange words in a certain, polished way.

I guess to some it all up -- I am your typical guy. I am not romantic all the time, I will leave the toilet seat up, and I will forget to open the door for you. I love breasts, beer and football. I like movies where things get blown up and driving my Jetta 120mph is fun for me..

I say all that to say I am not perfect, even though I tend to dress well (so I've been told) and that I can be sensitive (the artist in me), I did not walk out of a Humphrey Bogart movie. I don't have timeless, romantic sayings like "Here's looking at you kid…".

But enough about me. What about you?

Who are you? How do you define yourself? Can you be defined? Do you laugh when things go wrong? Do you get angry at injustice? Do you love Jesus? Do you love people?

Do you think marriage will fulfill you in every way?

If you are married to me, it probably won't in fact I know it won't. I need someone who is patient, kind and understanding of how often I fall short of living up to the kind of guy that you expect and deserve.

So to some it all up, yes, I still hope for that serendipitous moment where time stands still, but I guess I am starting to arrive at this place where I am realizing that it might not happen like it has been in my mind for the past few years or so.

Or maybe it will, maybe to give up hope in that takes away from the story, the beautiful narrative of my life, the beautiful narrative of your life, who ever you are.

No comments: