Thursday, December 27, 2007



The last month of school was always the toughest -- days seem to drag on and on. Like the sands of time seemed to turn into thick molasses seeping through an hourglass one slow drip at a time.

Sitting eight hours in an unair-conditioned room, listening to a teacher talk about fun of long division and being forced to sit next to the sweaty fat kid who, moments previous played dodge ball and ate a bag of Doritos.

Waiting sucks.

I recently went to the dentist where I had two minor cavities filled. Waiting rooms (we can all agree) suck. They’re all the same; soft, poppy music playing overhead. The stiffly padded maroon furniture with old cheerio’s stiffed in the cracks and four year old copies of Time and People magazine on a table with a gaudy pink lamp and a box of tissue.

I feel as though my life, for the next month will be day after day of the soothing sounds of Kenny G, Highlight’s Magazine and a little boy named Christopher that runs around spitting up cheerios and crying at an ear damaging decibel. For the next month, I am going through the motions. I am putting in my time. And I am growing ever more restless in this stationary, idol state.

My only relief is the short amount of time that I spend with friends and family, zoning out while watching Heroes and 24, and oh yes, how could I forget sleep.

Sleep can either be fantastic or ruthless because when your brain finally does shut off, time just leaves. One moment it’s 8pm, the next moment it’s 8 am. Twelve hours goes by seemingly in a matter of deep, rest saturated moments. For the death row inmate who has his execution at 8am, this could work against you. But for the 10 year old who anxiously awaits the brand new, 12 speed with the dual shocks on both wheels, sleep and the absence of time could be a beautiful thing.

On the 28th of January I will be packing as much of what I own into my lovely silver Jetta, driving 28 hours west and arriving in San Diego, California to start a new job and a new life.

Excitement can’t begin to describe the feeling. The only feeling that comes close is the feeling you have while you are standing inline for the world’s fastest rollercoaster, your stomach feels like you’ve just ingested a small tire, and you sweat in places you never knew you could.

But once you step onto the ride, sling the harness over your chest and pull the bar down to your lap, you know that this is going to be the ride of your life. And all the waiting, was totally worth it.

1 comment:

MacKenzie Olivia said...

sooo . . . i'm assuming you've informed our boss that you're leaving?